1700 AD

Home | Genealogy | St. Andrews Church | Parish History | News & Contact | Projects | Photographs

 

1700 AD

 

Judith Boynton founded a free school by her will in November 1700.  Her estate called White Carrs at Thornton Riseborough was charged with the annual sum of 6, 5 was for a schoolmaster and 1 for purchasing bibles for the poor.  The money came from rented farmland.  The parish register reveals a tough life in those days.  In March 1714 James Brown and his wife Mary buried their son.  By July of the same year Mary was dead - very probably due to childbirth complications.

Normanby School early 20th century.

 

In May 1715 James, a yeoman, married Elizabeth Carlin (a yeoman was a free tenant but as he worked with his hands he was not a 'gentleman', although above the status of other tenants).  Their daughter, Penelope, was baptised in March 1716 but was buried in October of the same year.  Yet by January 1717 another daughter, again called Penelope, was baptised, but she was dead by June the following year.  It was common to use family names again if off-spring died.

 

Life was full of dramatic events on a background of day to day routine toil in the fields.  If a person could survive the then fatal childhood illnesses and become used to the water then they could live to a ripe old age.  There are records of between 80 and 97 years.

 

Other names in the parish register that century included Dawson, Hatter, Dring, Hinds, Sparling, Borriman, Chambers, Sigsworth, Marshall, Walton, Barker, Barton, Cook, Tyndal, Savage, Jackson and Flinders.  The Rector for much of this time was Christopher Bowes, later Richard Hill.  Churchwardens included George Sparling.  Philip Bainbridge was the curate in 1715, Philip Dowkes for the latter half of the century.  The blacksmith in 1735 was Rob Willson.

 

The main occupations were naturally related to farming.  Some parish register entries mention jobs including John Huddlestone, weaver; William Douthwaite and James Thompson, day labourers; John Thompson, pauper; Joseph Brough and John  Browne, manservants; Thomas  Bolton,  Flax  Draper; William  Harrison  a  Sergeant in the North Yorkshire Militia; Robert Trowsdale of Normanby House, a carpenter; John Taylor a waggoner to Mr Stockdale at Sinnington House.

 

This period included the passing of many acts of parliament to enclose agricultural land.  Before 1735 the death penalty for witchcraft still applied.  The improvement of some roads through the creation of turnpike trusts enabled quicker stagecoach services.  They provided tempting targets for robbers and highwaymen.

 

In 1750 or thereabouts Pasture House was built and became the home of the blacksmith.  John Wesley visited the area in 1764.

 

In 1795 the Whig government introduced allowances for unemployed or low paid workers. As a result many farmers began to reduce wages and employ labourers on a casual basis.  Sometimes whole parishes were living on the dole according to Poor laws dating back to 1597 and 1601.  As a result an act in 1834 said that no able bodied person could obtain relief except by entering a workhouse.  This rule led to miserable lives for many poor people.

 

Top

 

 

Home | Genealogy | St. Andrews Church | Parish History | News & Contact | Projects | Photographs

 
To the best of our knowledge we have not infringed any copyright laws regarding any text or graphics contained within this web site.  Should any organisation or individual have reason to believe an infringement has taken place and can substantiate the fact, we will endeavour to rectify immediately.

Website created, supported and maintained by Bernie Frank

Copyright 2005 Normanby in Ryedale
Last updated : 31 December 2013